Sunday, October 23, 2016

Mediterranean Chicken Salad






I get the pleasure of working from home a couple of days during the week, which allows me to play around with different dishes for lunch.


The other day we were at Panera for a quick lunch and I was so tempted to have their Chicken Salad Sandwich, which I just love.  I got a hold of myself an opted for something a little healthier, ending up with a half a turkey sandwich and soup.  But....let me tell you that chicken salad was still calling my name.



Up comes my work from home day, and with the chicken salad still on my mind I decided to make a healthier version, without all the mayo.  The previous night I had roasted 5 chicken breasts using this recipe here.  My intention was for us to eat two that night with mashed potatoes and veggies and then use the remaining one in various dishes.  I just love roasted chicken, and this recipe is simple...but it the BEST.


Mediterranean Chicken Salad

So, using some of the roasted chicken I whipped up a Mediterranean Chicken Salad (without mayo) and served it over romaine lettuce.  It's filled with wonderful ingredients (mostly pantry items) such as artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, herbs, and is drizzled with olive oil and lemon.  Heaven! 



The zip of the lemon, tang of the artichoke, along with the chicken, and earthy roasted red peppers give this dish such a balance.  If you like olives, throw them in there too!  They would enhance this dish nicely.  This isn't a sweet chicken salad, but a few golden raisins would be fabulous as well.

A quick and easy meal is yours within 15 minutes!

Enjoy!



Related Recipe:





Mediterranean Chicken Salad

serves 4

3/4 cup roasted chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
1/3 cup roasted red pepper, chopped (from a jar)
3 Tbls fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbls fresh basil, chopped 
3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
4 large Romaine lettuce leaves

To a medium bowl add all ingredients.  Stir to combine.  Serve over lettuce and serve. 

Note:  Chicken salad may be kept in the refrigerator until serving.  Any remaining will keep in a covered container for several days.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...