Sunday, March 6, 2016

Simple Southern Biscuits






I'm a pretty good planner for our weekly meals (or at least I thought I was...) and usually do my shopping once a week for fresh foods like milk, bread, fruits and vegetables.

Well this week I either miscalculated or we over ate because I woke up on Saturday morning and we didn't have any bread, only a small amount of milk, no fruit or even cereal! Not very many ingredients to enjoy breakfast, and I do love my weekend breakfasts.



But luckily Saturday was a busy day and we just skipped breakfast (cause we had to...) and went about our business. I intended to stop by the store but things didn't work out and I ran out of time. Having a stocked pantry and a freezer helped me with lunch and dinner, so no worries there.   

Then comes Sunday morning...still no bread, fruit, or cereal, and a small amount of milk.  I decided to take matters in my own hands and make my mom's homemade biscuits. Biscuits were a staple growing up and they are the perfect substitute for a loaf of bread.  Great for breakfast, or put some ham on it and you have a wonderful sandwich, and you can serve with dinner as a roll.  What's better?



Mom's Simple Southern Biscuit recipe is soooo easy.  You only need 3 ingredients and they make light and fluffy biscuits that are to die for!  Can't you just imagine sinking your teeth into a hot, fluffy biscuit with butter or jam on it?  My mouth is watering now....



So the bread dilemma is solved, and I feel lazy.  Wonder if I can go another day or two without going to the store!  (that will be a test!)

Enjoy!



Simple Southern Biscuits

Source: Imogene Center's recipe box

Makes: 15 Biscuits

½ cup cold butter, cubed (1 stick)
2 cups self-rising flour
¾ cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse peas sized crumbles. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3-4 times. Pat or lightly roll to ¾-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2 ½-in. biscuit cutter.

Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake about 10-11 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...