Thursday, December 3, 2015

Slow Cooker Meal: Rustic Beef Stew






Yum

I'm loving the fall weather!  We finally got a break in Los Angeles, and the weather has turned cooler.  70's is cooler to us!

When the weather changes I crave soups and stews.  My favorite soup is one that Mom always made. A hearty vegetable beef soup that full of potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and tomatoes, slow cooked with stew meat to make a warming soup.  Here's her recipe.  Today I feel like something more stew-like but with similar flavors.  

Browsing though my "to make" Pinterest folder I came across this pin that just fit my needs.  Do you all know Christy Jordan?  She has a wonderful blog called Southern Plate and also is the author of a great cookbook by the same name.  I found this recipe on her website and adapted it slightly to fit my taste, but pretty much followed her lead.  



One item that she used and I ended up purchasing was Dale's Seasoning.    Dale's Seasoning is a savory blend of exotic spices that enhance the flavor of beef, pork, lamb, poultry, fish, wild game and vegetables.   Sold mostly in the South, but you can buy it online here. I was intrigued by this sauce enough to want to purchase it, but you can leave it out or just add a little Worcestershire and soy sauce instead or use Kitchen Bouquet.

This was a very easy stew to put together and we left for the day and came home to a wonderful, hearty dinner.  I dare say it was "fabulous"!  this will be my go to slow cooker beef stew recipe from now on. 



You must try this out soon....there's nothing better than a delicious stew during the cold evenings.
Enjoy!




Rustic Beef Stew

serves 4-6

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs  stew meat
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 c flour
3 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
3/4 medium onion, sliced
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
32 ounces beef broth
1/4 cup Dale's low sodium seasoning
1 tablespoon thyme

Instructions

Season the stew meat with pepper and add to a plate.  Pour flour over and stir to coat.  In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add meat and cook just long enough to brown.  Turn meat to brown all sides.  

Add potatoes, onion, carrots to the slow cooker.  Place meat on top and add broth, Dale's marinade and thyme.  Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...