Monday, November 30, 2015

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones - Product Review: King Arthur Flour Harvest Pumpkin Whole Grain Scone Mix


I love having girl time with old friends.

There is just something about a test of time friend that comforts you.  You may not have seen each other for a while but when  you come together it's as if a day hasn't passed. Do you have friends like that?  Someone that you can just be girls with.  Laugh, be silly, and have fun!

Plus, they know you.  My friend Andrea is like that.  We've been friends for years.  Lately, we haven't been able to get together too often.  Life is busy.  The other day she called and we made a date to meet for brunch at a great spot down in Santa Monica, facing the beach.


We laughed and reminisced about our antics in the past. Watch out, Lucy and Ethel are together again!  We had so much fun that I didn't want the afternoon to end.  It's always such a joy to be with good friends.  And this good friend came baring gifts!

In she came with a pretty bag containing several King Arthur Flour mixes.  Ahhhh, she knows me! I adored the gift and her for thinking of me.


So this weekend I broke out one of the mixes and whipped up a batch of Pumpkin Cranberry Scones using King Arthur Flour's Harvest Pumpkin Whole Grain Scone Mix.  It was very easy to follow and only needed several ingredients such as butter, eggs, salt and milk.  I added dried cranberries because I love the flavor combination. I'm glad I did, because they came out GREAT!

The whole grains provided a nutty flavor, and it was bursting with pumpkin and spices.  They were very tender and moist and with the addition of the cranberries, WOW!  These are the perfect fall breakfast, brunch, or snack time bite.  MGG inhaled one down right off the bat.  He said these were a winner, and please can I make them again.  SOLD!

The package gives you instructions for drop scones, which is what I did as well.  It's just easier than rolling them out and they come out with that rustic look.  I got 9 pretty large scones out of the mix, and the box states you'll get 8 using a 1/3 cup measure.  I used a scoop so that would account for the extra piece of heaven!


Overall these were a hit.  I would certainly recommend this mix to anyone that wants a shortcut from making them completely from scratch.  In my opinion King Arthur has some of the best quality products out there.  I use their flour religiously, so it's no wonder that their scone mix is a winner.

You can purchase this mix here.




Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

1 17oz box of King Arthur's Harvest Pumpkin Whole Grain Scone Mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pats
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup dried cranberries

1. preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.

2. stir together scone mix and salt, then work in butter with a pastry blender, mixing until everything is crumbly. In a separate bowl, stir together egg and milk. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. (If dough is too dry add a splash of milk)

3. scoop dough onto the baking sheet, using a large scoop for each scone.  Space by 2" between them. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until they're a light golden brown. Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes and serve warm.

adapted from King Arthur's Harvest Pumpkin Whole Grain Scone Mix box instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...