Monday, October 19, 2015

Strawberry Agua Fresca



You know what goes well with chicken verde tacos on a warm and sunny afternoon? Agua fresca!

On Sundays, we hit the gym. We've recently gotten into spinning in our gym. Riding out on the streets around Los Angeles is a peril I'd rather not experience. With crazy drivers everywhere bicycling can be harmful to your health! Instead we spin (high-intensity, indoor cycling on stationary bikes) and we love it! It's really hard though, and after a good workout and all that sweating (or glistening for Southern girls!) all I want is an ice cold agua fresca to hydrate myself.



If you know me I frequent the farmer's markets a lot. We have a fantasic one down the street that takes place on Sundays.  So usually before our workout I hit the market and by some fresh seasonal fruit for the week, and our agua fresca! This week I found some late season strawberries....oh were they sweet! .



Essentially, agua frescas are made with pureed fruit, water, a little sugar and splash of lime juice. It can be made using a variety of fruits. I love melons and berries in mine. I've seen agua fresca all of the internet in two ways, strained and unstrained. I prefer a clean water texture with the hint of fruit so I strain mine. You can do this either way. If you like it pulpy, go for unstrained.



So make yourself a wonderful lunch, such as my chicken verde tacos , and a refreshing drink to go along with it, sit back, relax, and enjoy the day!





Strawberry Agua Fresca


yield: 4 cups


3 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
2 cups water
juice of 1 lime 
3 Tbsp sugar, more or less according to taste

In a blender add the strawberries, water, lime juice, and sugar.  Blend until liquified and sugar is well blended.  Strain through a fine mesh strainer (optional) into a pitcher.  Serve over ice.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...