Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Brown Butter Banana Bread Coffee Cake



I think I've died and gone to HEAVEN!

Now you may be asking why?  The picture above is just a normal looking coffee cake.
Well it's not...

I've discovered brown butter.

Yes, that's right brown butter.

This stuff is straight from the GODS!  I've seen so many recipes floating around the blogesphere about brown butter this and brown butter that....cookies, cakes, ice cream...everything you can imagine and I thought "ehh" "doesn't sound all that special"  Boy was I wrong!



So I came across this simple coffee cake that uses brown butter...and bananas.  I decided to give it a try and see what all the hooplah is about.  Once I got that butter in the pan and stirred and stirred, something magical happened.  It foamed, then turned golden, then the foam went away and the butter became nutty and fragrant.  I just stuck my finger in it for a taste and about swooned! Seriously, I had NO IDEA this tasted so good.  Where the heck have I been that I've not been on the brown butter train!

The rest is history.  It's my new passion.  I'll be making brown butter this and that from now on. You'll get sick of me and brown butter...



Now this coffee cake is a nice moist cake with a crumb topping and bananas inside...but let me tell you, on it's own it's good, but with the brown butter it is fabulous.  Best coffee cake ever!



So if you do anything at all, make something with browned butter (preferably my coffee cake here!). This is so good it should be a bucket list item.  Go forth and brown butter!

Enjoy!



Banana Bread Coffee Cake

Ingredients

Cake:
¾ cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, browned and divided
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
½ cup milk
1 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Topping:
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons reserved browned butter
1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°.  Spray a 10” pie plate with cooking spray.  Add 6 tablespoons of butter to a small frying pan. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously until it browns. It will foam up, and then turn brown.  The foam will diminish and the butter will become golden. Remove from heat. 

In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt.  To a large bowl, mix the sugar, 4 tablespoons of the browned butter, and egg.    Stir in the milk and mashed bananas.  Add the dry ingredients into wet and stir until just combined.  

To make the topping: stir together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, remaining 2 T. browned butter, and the pecans. Pour the cake batter in to the pan and top with the crumb topping. 

Bake for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.


source:  Crazy for Crust blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...