Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Fresh Apple Slaw


One of the things I struggle with is changing up my side dishes.

Do you tend to gravitate toward the same ones as well? Well this summer I changing that.

I've made a pact to incorporate new side dishes using fresh summer ingredients. There are so many things to explore but I know just where to begin!

One thing I do on the weekend's is to make a batch of some type of salad for us to eat on during the week. That may be a pasta salad, quinoa, orzo, corn salad, bean salad...etc.


I'm thinking coleslaw this week.  We had a nice basic one for the 4th of July which was great, but I want to change it up a bit.  Make a slaw with a vinaigrette dressing instead of the heavy mayo one.  And...I'll add some apples for some zip.  I just bought some wonderful new apples called "Envy". Outstanding.  Crisp and juicy, with a bright flavor, but not tart.  You must try them if you see them at your grocery store, they are that good.  

So out of this came my Fresh Apple Slaw.  


Perfect for alfresco dining and picnics.

Perfect for summer.

Enjoy!

Fresh Apple Slaw

Serves 6-8

1 pkg of coleslaw mix with red cabbage
2 cups of julienne carrots
1 Envy apple, sliced thinly
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine coleslaw mix, carrots, and apples in a large bowl. Whisk together vinegar, honey, olive oil, salt & pepper in a medium bowl.  Toss vinaigrette with slaw apple mixture; cover and chill up to 4 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...