Tuesday, March 4, 2014

BLT Pizza



One of our favorite foods is pizza.  I mean who doesn’t love it?
All that saucy and cheesy goodness.  Yum!  I think my love of it started in at the pizza parlors going with my parent. Then in my teens it’s where we would all gather to hang out and eat pizza after the football games or on a Friday night with a pitcher of rootbeer.


A definite staple throughout the years.  But I’ve also found that as our age increases so does our palate, and our health concerns and we tend to not eat pizza as often as I’d like.  I know that MGG doesn’t go for all that melted cheese any more.  “Light cheese” or cheeseless pizzas are becoming the norm with him.  I still crave my standard pepperoni and mushroom, I just can’t give that up!
Still, we find that we are now eating pizzas with salad on it!  Some wonderful spicy greens topped with some fresh tomato chunks and some shavings of Parm, with a sprinkle of lemon.  Another great way to eat pizza, if I must say.
One of my mom’s most beloved sandwiches is the BLT.  Something quick to put together and you still get some protein and veggies. She loved it.  So in honor of my mom, MGG and I decided to put together BLT Pizzas.  (jazzed up a bit).


These are perfect as a lunch entree or even as a snack.  Taking a twist on the original pizza dough I’ve used toasted English muffins which lend a crunchiness to the crust and really support the toppings.  Swap out the lettuce for some spicy arugula, add turkey bacon, tomato, and a little marinara sauce, and a tiny bit of cheese and you have the makings of a BLT Pizza!  MGG loved this without the cheese and saved some fat and calories.
We thought these turned out great.  Healthy enough to eat a little more often!  Pizza yeah!


BLT Pizzas


serves 4


1/4 cup marinara sauce
2 whole grain English muffins, split and toasted
1/2 cup arugula leaves
1/4 cup chopped, seeded tomato
1 slice turkey bacon, crisp-cooked and chopped
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)

Preheat broiler. Spread marinara sauce evenly over English muffin halves. Top with arugula, tomato, and bacon. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...