Monday, January 20, 2014

Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits

I have a confession.

Biscuits are my favorite breakfast item.  I mean my f a v o r i t e ! ! !

Mom made great ones growing up and she had a treasure trove of old biscuit recipes hidden in her favorite recipe box.  You know the "one" where you keep you most favorite, tried and true, "secret" recipes?

Well I found this one in there...



So glad I snatched this recipe up.  It's a keeper for sure.  Soft, flaky biscuits with that tangy buttermilk singing through.  And the rise on these babies....wonderful!  That may be due to the wonderful new baking powder I've been using lately.  Bakewell Cream is a popular baking powder in New England, know for it's superior raising properties.  So far so good, I'd say!



These biscuits come together quickly and turn out light, moist, and flaky.  So I'm on a quest to make every biscuit recipe that my mom stashed away....hope you don't mind.  My taste buds and tummy are thanking me right now!

Here are some other biscuit recipes I've made:
Buttermilk Biscuits by Clinton St. Bakery
Old Fashioned Biscuits
Cornmeal Biscuits
St. Patrick's Day Cheddar Biscuits


Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold and cut into chunks
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl. Using a pastry blender or two forks cut in butter. (Butter should look like small peas.) Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk.



Mix until combines. Turn dough out onto a floured board. Pat the dough into a rectangle and fold the dough into thirds (like a book) , turn the dough 1/4 turn and pat out again. repeat folding process several times. Roll dough into a round about 1/2' thick. Cut out biscuits and place on a baking pan.

Brush the tops with a little buttermilk. Bake for 12-15 min or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool. Serve with butter and jam.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...