Saturday, December 14, 2013

Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy

When I was growing up I used to cook lunch for my Dad.

I can hear him now calling me, "Bessie Annie come make me a hamburger steak, will you punkin?"

Boy, I remember making these so called Hamburger Steaks often.  Sometimes with onions and beef gravy.  Sometimes plain.  He loved them.  We all did.

Mom would make them ever so often because the use of ground beef was an inexpensive way to feed a family.  Plus...they taste darn good!


I never understand why they called them steaks though.  Technically they were a hamburger pattie, not steak.  But we always formed them a little thicker than your normal pattie, and they were made an oval shape.  I'm sure this was to make it appear more like a steak.  

Regardless of my fascination with the name, I love the flavor all the same.

So craving a Hamburger Steak I decided to make my own with a mushroom gravy.  I'm fond of mushrooms.

MGG is fond of mushrooms.  

Perfect combo.


Break out the ground sirloin for top flavor.  You can't get much easier than this.  Just make the "steaks" and gravy, add some sides and you are set for dinner.  A great hearty meal that's inexpensive, and perfect for a weeknight dinner. 

An ode to my Dad!

Enjoy!

Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy

serves 4

1 lb of ground sirloin
salt and pepper
8 oz of sliced mushrooms
1 cup beef broth
1 Tablespoon flour

Divide beef into 4 sections.  Form 4 oval patties about 1 inch thick.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add patties and until done.  About 8-9 minutes turning once.

Add mushrooms to the skillet and cook until tender.  Add 1/2 cup of broth to the mushrooms.  Allow to boil.  Add flour to the remaining 1/2 cup beef broth.  Stir to combine.  Add remaining broth to skillet and stir to combine.  Allowing to boil. Cook 1 minute.  Broth will thicken.

Serve hamburger steaks with mushrooms and gravy poured over top.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...