Saturday, July 13, 2013

Tropical Crescent Ring


During the summer I love to sit outside in the morning on the weekends and enjoy a nice cup of hot tea and something delicious for breakfast.  A great way to start the day off, in the quiet...before the world gets busy and hectic.  

So this morning that's exactly what MGG and I did.  Spend a few quite moments talking and eating breakfast outside...before the day gets started..and around here, before the scorching heat is upon us.  It's been humid, oh sooo humid, and around 100 degrees all week.  This weekend promises the same.

I do have a confession to make though, before telling you about this dish.  I tend to read a lot of recipes, blogs, cookbooks etc...Then I go out an buy ingredients to make that special something, and a week goes by and I read some more, and I forget what that special something was!  So then I have some great ingredients lying around and don't know what I intended them for...C'est la vie!  It's a bad habit of mine.  


The reason I'm telling you this it this ties to my creation of this mornings breakfast.  I wanted to make something like a pastry.  I knew, looking around I found some dried pineapple and some macadamia nuts but to be honest I don't remember what they were for...possibly oatmeal granola bars?  Anyway they gave me the idea to make a this Tropical Crescent Ring.  Now to find some shredded coconut, which I located in the freezer, and some type of dough (not wanting to make this from scratch today) so I found a can of Crescent Rolls in the frig.  Voila, I had my inspiration.  (Think I'm picking up the French language from a book I'm reading right now...but I digress)

This is a wonderful pastry to make.  Easy to put together, and similar to cinnamon rolls.  It takes about 35-40 min from start to finish, and the smell when it's baking...heaven!  Nothing too complicate here but oh so tasty!  It's really a semi-homemade version you can whip up easily and everyone will enjoy.


Kitchen Tip:  when working with this crescent dough, try to work quickly so the dough doesn't heat up.  If it does it makes the dough too pliable and it will be hard to roll and keep roll nice and intact.  (Not that I know this from experience of anything!)

So make this wonderful breakfast for you and your family...enjoy the moment, and the day ahead!

Tropical Crescent Ring
serves 4-6
time: 40 min

1 8 oz can crescent dinner rolls 
2 T butter softened or melted
2 T brown sugar 
1/4 c chopped dried pineapple
2 T sweetened shredded coconut
1/3 c chopped macadamia nuts

Glaze:
1/3 c powdered sugar
2 t milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place a piece of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.  Unroll dough on the parchment paper in a rectangle and press all seams together.  


In a bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, pineapple, and coconut. Spread mixture over dough to within 1/2 inch from the edges.  Sprinkle nuts over the top. 

Starting with long side of rectangle, roll up the pastry into a long roll.  Pinch the the seam into the dough to seal when you've finished rolling.  Using a knife, cut the dough into 12 equal slices. Arrange the slices on the parchment paper almost cut side up, overlapping the pieces slightly so they touch, in a circle.  

Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan to a cooling rack and cool completely.  If desired, make a glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl, making sure you add enough milk for a thin drizzle.  Drizzle over crescent ring and serve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...