Monday, January 28, 2013

Twice-Baked Potato Pizza


We have some big games coming up on TV soon. 
How many of you watch the Super Bowl?

Do you like to watch the game, or do you just like to see the commercials, and the half time show?

Either way, it is always fun to gather friends and family around and munch on yummy food.  Any excuse to cook and eat right?

This recipe is what I call “manly” food.  It just has that bar food feel to it.  Perfect for a party on the big game day. 

 
I was in the store the other day and saw a new item.  It was Progresso’s Recipe Starters.  Have you seen them yet.  They are actually soups, with a thick consistency that you can use as a base for other recipes.  There were several choices to choose from so I grabbed the Three Cheese cooking sauce and another one and off I went.  Now, what to make with this Three Cheese cooking sauce?  I scanned the recipes suggested on www.pillsbury.com and found several.  The one that caught my eye, because it was so different, was the Twice Baked Potato Pizza.  I can’t recall that I’ve ever had a potato on a pizza before.  Again, I’m a traditionalist, but I’m breaking free.

So I decided to try this out.  It’s really a pizza of sorts, but also tastes like potato skins.  Quite easy to make using a refrigerated pizza crust, and pre-sliced potatoes.  You don’t end up using all the three cheese sauce so you will have some left to use in another recipe.  I was thinking cheese biscuits…

 
All in all this was a tasty treat!  One that any guy would love, and perfect to serve a crowd.  I will certainly have this on my list of items to make come Super Bowl Sunday.  Hope you will too!

Twice-Baked Potato Pizza
adapted from: www.pillsbury.com

1  can (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
1  can (18 oz) Progresso Recipe Starters creamy three cheese cooking sauce
2  cups refrigerated homestyle potato slices (from 20-oz bag such as Simply Potatoes)
6 bacon slices cooked and crumbled 
1 ½  cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Garnishes:  (if desired)
Diced seeded tomatoes
Sliced green onions

Heat oven to 425°F. Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Unroll pizza dough on cookie sheet; press into 15x12-inch rectangle. Bake 5 minutes or until light golden brown.

Spread 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the cooking sauce evenly over partially baked crust (using more sauce will make crust soggy). Arrange potato slices in single layer over sauce. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with tomatoes and green onions. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...