Saturday, November 17, 2012

Verna's Apple Crisp


Can you believe that some people don't like pumpkin?
It's true I swear!


Not, I...I absolutely love the stuff...but I know some that don't...not at all.
So no pumpkin pie for you?
What about apple pie instead?

Don't have time to make an apple pie?
What about Apple Crisp instead?

Apple Crisp tastes very similar to apple pie, without the crust.  Instead of a crust on the bottom it is usually topped with an oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, and butter combo that becomes crisp when baked. It is wonderful!

So tasty and so easy to make.  A very versatile dessert that is great when warm and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!



This recipe is an "old" recipe.  It comes from my mom's long time best friend Verna, and has been a standard in our house forever.  I happy to share this with you today.  It's straight forward and delishhhh in every way!



Perfect dessert for the upcoming holidays and for those that don't like pumpkin!



Some of the best recipes are the old ones that are passed down, or from friend to friend.  Don't you think so?

Verna's Apple Crisp

6 c sliced and peeled apples
1 T lemon juice
1 T water
1 t cinnamon
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 c oats
1/2 c butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In and 8" suqare pan, place apples in pan.  Sprinkle with lemon juice and water.  In another bowl combine brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over apples and bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.


1 comment:

  1. I know! I have a pumpkin hating boyfriend. Luckily I experimented with him, and he DOES like it in the form of a pumpkin loaf, or pumpkin cookies ;)
    This looks fabulous anyways, I have never made an apple crisp before!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...