Thursday, August 16, 2012

Strawberry Freezer Jam



The last of the season's strawberries are among us.

I just went to the farmer's market and bought a HUGE amount of strawberries in order to make my love of them last.  How can it last?  By making freezer jam!

Have you made this yet?  This was my first attempt and I must say, it is easy to do.  Plus, it turned out great. The jam was chunky like I like it and not too sweet. (I cut down the sugar a bit, cause I like it a bit tart) Perfect on homemade biscuits, or on an English muffin, bagel, or toast.  

If you like jam this is perfect for you.  You can use this recipe with any fruit.  Just choose your favorite and cook away!  Next I think I'll make blackberry jam.  I spied a great source for blackberries at the farmer's market the other day.  Plus I love the tart flavor of blackberries.



What makes this easier than normal canning is the process.  You don't have to boil all the jars, and then fill and seal them in simmering water.  None of that.  Just cook the fruit, prepare the pectin, and mix them together.  Freezing your jam removes the need for the canning process.  So this is an easy take on canning.



I hope you enjoy some summer fruit by turning it into jam.  How great would it be to take a bit in January of some fresh strawberry goodness?  Pretty great, I'd say!

What's your favorite item to can?



Strawberry Freezer Jam

makes 5 (1 cup) containers

2 cups crushed strawberries (buy 1 qt. fully ripe strawberries)
3 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
3/4 cup water
1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin

Stem strawberries and place in a bowl.  Using a potato masher crush strawberries thoroughly.  Measure 2 cups prepared fruit into large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand 10 min., stirring occasionally.

In a small saucepan mix water and pectin.  Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring 1 min. Add to fruit mixture; stir 3 min. or until sugar is almost dissolved.

Fill 5 1/2 pint mason jars or freezer safe containers (1 cup containers) to within 1/2 inch from the top. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. It may be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks or you may freeze up to 1 year. Thaw in refrigerator before using.

1 comment:

  1. I love home made jam and I love strawberries, I think I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...