Saturday, April 21, 2012

Molletes



Last weekend I made a huge pot of beans.  


Bean soup to be exact. Something my mother made all the time while I was growing up.  She still makes it to this day.  I thought I had posted our family Bean Soup recipe, but alas, I have not.  As I was a dummy and didn't know this when I made it I didn't take any pics to show you.  So no bean soup recipe today!  I promise I'll make it again soon so I can post it.  It's really hearty and satisfying.  Mom mostly used pinto beans however, she was also known to use navy beans, great northern beans, and a nice white cannellini bean.  All are great.


I decided to use a new bean, a pink bean.  They have a nice color and a deeper flavor than a regular pinto bean, but are along the same line.  


Beans are comfort food.  They also a very affordable and filled with protein.  The base of many vegetarian dishes, beans are so versatile you can use them in many recipes.


One way to use your leftover beans is to make Molletes.  This is a kind of Mexican comfort food.  I was first introduced to this when I visited Puerto Vallarta many years ago.  Walking through the town we came across an small older woman who was making these is a restaurant we came upon.  They were heavenly!!!  Such a simple dish of bread, beans, and cheese...but so comforting.  I think they make a  great snack or lunch but they are often served for breakfast in Mexico.  This is one dish you have to try.  If you don't have home cooked beans you could certainly use canned refried beans.  Just zip them up some and they should be fine.






I found a recipe online which I adapted to fit the way I remember them being cooked by this cute little woman.


So if you are hesitant, jump out of your comfort zone a bit and try this recipe.  It's excellent!



a little salsa on top...a nice compliment!






Molletes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:
4 bolillos or other crusty rolls, cut in 1/2
3 cups cooked pinto beans
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
salsa or pico de gallo (optional)

Directions:

Preheat broiler.

Place split rolls open face on a baking sheet and broil until lightly golden.  Remove from oven and set aside.
Meanwhile drain the beans of most of the liquid, leaving just a bit. 

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.   Add the beans along with a small amount of liquid.  Mash the beans until they become a spreadable mixture, using a meat pounder, or potato masher. 

Divide the bean mixture and spread on each half of the rolls, about ¾ cup for 2 halves.  Top with shredded cheese, dividing amongst the rolls. Return to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and turning golden brown.  Serve immediately.  Note:  You may top with salsa or pico de gallo, or serve on the side.

Adapted from Marcela Valladolid

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of molletes until now but it just might be my favorite thing yet. This looks so incredibly easy and oh-so-cheesy! Best combo ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always made big pots of beans when I was growing up and still does to this day. This is a fantastic use for them. I've never eaten them this way; but they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of these before, but they look delicious! I think I'll make them with my soup this weekend. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...