Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup



The weather is cooling down...

We've had a n unusually warm winter here in Los Angeles.  I'm not sure that I like that.  Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful outside, it's just that I put away all my spring/summer clothing...

It's just not right that I have to dig out capris and short sleeved T-shirts during the month of January and February.  I want to wear all my cute winter clothing!  The funny thing is that even though the weather is warm people still are wearing their heavy sweaters and scarfs....they look so funny.  These die-hards that have to wear the appropriate seasonal clothing no matter what the temperature!

But as I said the weather is cooling.  I also love soup during the cooler months.  So I whipped up a soup the other night...on a weeknight no less!  It is hearty, creamy, and full of goodness.  My Turkey and Wild Rice Soup is made with ingredients that you might find in your refrigerator and pantry.  That's a good start!  The only item you made need to obtain is the turkey, or you could use chicken breasts instead. What I did to keep it simple is to go to the deli and have them slice me a 1/2" thick slice of oven roasted turkey that I could cube and throw in the soup.  It worked perfectly!   No matter the choice of meat, this soup is delicious and ready in about 1 hour!

Make yourself some homemade soup...it warms the soul!

Here are some step by step pics to get you started.

1.  Start with a chop and drop


2.  Then add your thickening, broth, and seasonings



 3.  Add the rice, turkey, and some milk...yum!


Here you go...a nice steaming bowl of soup...I love wild rice in a soup!







Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

7 servings

2 t butter
1 c finely diced carrot
1 c finely diced onion
½ c finely diced celery
1 c sliced mushrooms
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T flour
3 14.5 oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth
¼ t thyme
1 bay leaf
2 c roasted turkey breast, chopped or deli turkey, cubed
1 c uncooked wild and long grain rice
½ c evaporated 2% milk
Salt & pepper

Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat.  Add carrots, onion, celery, and mushrooms.  Cook until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add garlic and stir, cooking for another minute.

Add flour, stir constantly, cooking for 1 minute.  Add chicken broth and scrape the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.

Add thyme, bay leaf, turkey, and rice.  Bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.  Add evaporated milk, stir, and bring to another boil for 1 minute.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Remove bay leaf.  Serve.

2 comments:

  1. It's definitely soup season where I live. It is 30 degrees outside right now! I'd love to have this soup for lunch! Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup... and this recipe looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...