Monday, September 26, 2011

Sicilian Seasoning



I have a surprise for you tomorrow.  Ssshhh!

Let's just say it involves bread and cheese...oh my!

But first, in order to make our little surprise tomorrow we first have to whip up a little seasoning mix.

Not just any mix...oh no!  This is a Sicilian Seasoning mix.

This is a great all around mix that you will find many, many, uses for.  I mean MANY!  Just think of the possibilities.

So whip this up right away and seal it in an airtight jar or bottle, it is so worth it!  And...when you see what tomorrow's treat is you will be glad you did!

(Oh yea, and there will be some other great recipes soon using this same mix as well.)

Sicilian Seasoning

2 Tablespoons dried basil
2 Tablespoons dried marjoram
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
2 Tablespoons dried thyme
2 Tablespoons dried savory
1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon dried rosemary (optional)

Combine spices in a bowl.  For storage place mixture in an airtight jar or bottle.

11 comments:

  1. Your recipe above reads dried savory....
    is savory an unfinished word or is it
    an actual herb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, savory is actually an herb that has a slight piney scent and a peppery flavor. If you can't find savory you can just use sage instead, or use more thyme and marjoram. If using sage I would reduce the amount to 1 Tablespoon to 1 1/2 Tablespoons as it is quite strong. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. I first went to wikipedia and it actually states
    there that someone needs to fill in
    what exactly savory herb is...Wow !..
    ..There are about 18 different kinds of savory.
    I found a bottle that simply reads savory herb.
    What a stroke of luck!
    I used this to make the above ingredients
    and ground each one separately in a medicine bowl.

    I also added 1 tspn garlic powder,
    1 tspn onion powder, and 1 tspn season salt.
    Wow ! What a kick ! Add some to your favorite
    Garlic bread recipe! Im going to add some to my pizza
    next time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are the top three best ways to use this spice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are 3 dishes I use this spice mix for. Hope you enjoy them! Cheese Italian Bread
      https://asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com/2011/09/cheesy-italian-bread.html
      Sicilian Sauce
      https://asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com/2011/09/sicilian-sauce.html
      Linguine with Sausage and Sicilian Sauce
      https://asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com/2011/10/linguine-with-sausage-and-sicilian.html

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Here are 3 dishes I use this spice mix for. Hope you enjoy them! Cheese Italian Bread
      https://asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com/2011/09/cheesy-italian-bread.html
      Sicilian Sauce
      https://asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com/2011/09/sicilian-sauce.html
      Linguine with Sausage and Sicilian Sauce
      https://asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com/2011/10/linguine-with-sausage-and-sicilian.html

      Delete
  5. Hi how comparable is this blend to HEBs Sicilian Blend that is sold in bulk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with HEB's Siciliab Spice Blend and their site does not list the ingredients in their blend. Try this in a small batch and let me know what you think.

      Delete
    2. I think the spices used are probably similar (can't know the proportions) but to my big nose I think HEB adds parmesan or romano cheese. I meant to read the ingredients, I just bought some.

      Delete
  6. I would like to try your Sicilian blend. I have used the spice Savory for years usually when I make my Italian Pot Roast and add it to oregano, basil and marjoram. For those who never heard of it, here's a link to it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick-Gourmet-All-Natural-Ground-Savory-1-37-oz/10535068

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...