Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cheesy Italian Bread



SURPRISE!
Seems like everyone loves bread.


Is that true?


One of my most popular recipes on my blog is the Cheesy Garlic Herb Bread.
Remember this one?






Oh yea...


So I got to thinking that we need to take this bread and mix it up a bit.  I've thought of tons of variations for this appetizer.  This time around I experimented with Italian flavors.  (the other variations will have to just wait...)


So I came up with a new wonder...this bread is sooooo good!  I mean, man! I could eat the whole thing, and that would bad....really bad.


So you remember that Sicilian Seasoning mix I posted yesterday?  Yeah...it's in the bread!  In the sauce I used specifically on the bread!  OH MY the flavors are OUTSTANDING!


So let's make this wondrous bread.  


Pick up a round loaf of bread, french or sourdough will do.  Slice the bread into 1 1/2" slices, but don't cut through to the bottom.  Now rotate the loaf and slice again in 1 1/2" slices, making sure they remain attached at the bottom.  Now you have a checkerboard looking sliced bread.






Place your loaf on a pan, covered with foil if you like to reduce the clean up.  In a separate bowl dump a bottle of your favorite marinara sauce.  I used a tomato basil sauce.  To that you need to add about 4-5 Tablespoons of the Sicilian Seasoning.  (click here for the recipe).  This is a secret, as it has a little bit of red pepper flakes to give it a zing!  Stir the two together.






Gently spread the sauce into the cracks of the bread.  Make sure to do all sides, horizontal and vertical, of the bread.  






Next, stuff the mozzarella cheese into the cracks.  Use your judgement on the amount of cheese.






Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the bread is toasty on top and all the cheese is melted.


NOTE:  You will need to eat this right away....I don't think this will be a problem though.  However, if you tend to leave it sitting out for a long period of time like I did and then go back to it in hopes of having some more, or wanting to store any leftovers for another day....Nuh Uh!  So sad, but due to the large amount of sauce, the bread gets soggy.  If you like that sort of thing then you'll be in heaven...but me..no soggy bread for me.
So just try and eat it hot, and soon after you make it.




Yummy!



Cheesy Gooey!


Heaven!  Need I say more?



Hope you liked your surprise!




Cheesy Italian Bread


1 round loaf of French or Sourdough bread
1 bottle of marinara sauce
4 T Sicilian Seasoning
1 1/2 c Mozzarella cheese, shredded


Cut bread across horizontally into 1 1/2" slice, not cutting all the way through the bottom.  Cut bread vertically into 1 1/2" slices as well, not cutting all the way through to the bottom.


Mix the entire jar of marinara sauce with the Sicilian seasoning in a medium bowl.  Spread the sauce into the cracks of the bread covering all four sides.  Add cheese to the cracks, pushing down to cover all areas.


Place on a baking sheet covered with foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 min. until toasted and cheese is melted.


Linked to: Melt in your mouth Monday



4 comments:

  1. This looks so good Beth. Have you thought of making small individual cheesy breads? I think I am going to try it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bread looks scrumptious and I love that Sicilian seasoning, too. Thanks for the great recipe and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds so yummy!!! I think I am going to have to try this! Thank you for the recipe.
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...